Jonathan Fields has an interesting post titled “Why Having Fun is Great For Business”…
It’s an odd thing to say, but as a business principle…fun matters. Not on a superficial “let’s have scooter races in the hallways” level (though, that’s part of the equation), but on a deeper “this feels really good” level. It keeps us working hard, coming back and pushing through challenge. Because the process we’ve chosen to serve others is intrinsically rewarding.
It’s work. But, it’s joyful work. So, you not only don’t dread it, you look forward to it.
The most convincing numbers supporting levity at work come from more than a decade of research by the Great Place to Work Institute. Data from their one million-person research database reveals that “Great” companies consistently earn significantly higher marks for “fun.”
I think it’s fair to say, fun is a game changer.
So… at-home workers wanting to test the fun-factor theory, here are 5 offline ways to add some fun to your workday. Each one takes 5 minutes or less.
Offline Fun: 5 Under 5
- A jar of candy adds fun to any space. Fill a glass jar with some colorful candy and take a candy break!
- Walk outside – rain, shine, night, day. Break up your workday by getting outdoors. While you’re out there, look at things as though you’re going to write about them.
- Music: listen to a song that puts you in a good mood, and clear your desk of everything that doesn’t need to be there. You’ll be amazed at how much better you feel in just a few minutes.
- Move it, stretch it, shake it – get up out of your seat and jump around. Music helps with this one too!
- Call a family member or friend. Pick up the phone to say hi.
Having a good time adds a really valuable dimension to our lives. How do you have fun at work?